Don't Let Negative Perceptions Jeopardise Opportunity

Have you ever had days when you’ve questioned your decision to work in the fitness industry because you felt too fat or even too skinny?

Image Francesco Marino
“If I don’t look like I work out, why would anyone ever buy a gym membership off me?"

I had this problem a few years ago, but my problem was the opposite of most, I felt too small! I’d just started working in a gym full of bodybuilders and not just any bodybuilders, these guys were massive! Some were national champions, some champion powerlifters and here's me, an avid trainer and I have competed in the past, but hardly a muscle freak.

Why would any of these huge guys ever want to personal train with me, they’re twice my size AND twice my strength?!

I found myself alienating from these members and had to overcome this negative perception fast or I wasn’t going to be making an income! After some self reflection, I decided to simply get to know these people (crazy notion huh); we had a common interest (bodybuilding) so it was easy to engage conversation.

This would lead to me spotting them; as scary as it is to spot someone doing a 200kg bench press, asking relative questions and making slight non intimidating suggestions.

In the end it all worked out. I managed to build my client base and even took advantage of working with such experienced athletes by learning a thing or two.

Some days you need to remind yourself of your worth.

Think about positive results you have helped people achieve, be it someone you joined the gym and they’ve made an incredible transformation, or a client you have that comes back month after month to train specifically with you.

There is a reason for this…you’re good at what you do! Of course some days things just seem overwhelming and you question your career choice as a fitness professional, but rest assured, everybody has experienced these days in one way or another.

Don’t let any one person get you down, if you feel that way, give your biggest fan a call; that could be your mum or boyfriend or wife or whoever, they will quickly remind you that you are special and amazing and if they don’t, well that’s another post…

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment superstar! Don't forget to subscribe by entering your email in the box on the top right!

Also, become a fan on Facebook and follow my shenanigans on Twitter @mybizisfitness...phew!

Ben