Personal Trainers Who Hate Sales

"I became a personal trainer so I wouldn't have to be a salesperson!" Ever thought or heard that? That's what a friend told me after I suggested a few ideas she could try in her personal training business.

Thing is, the suggestions I made weren't even sales related, just some promotional ideas that she could implement in her new and exciting 'growth strategy', mind you, her idea of a growth strategy was to make healthy muffins for her clients more than once a month.

Some people are absolutely terrified of selling and quit before they've even given themselves a real chance, so I decided to test my friend and see if she was doing sales without realising it.

I asked her to describe a typical work day. Like most personal trainers, she started quite early, meeting clients at the gym. At around 10am she would have lunch and respond to her emails, run errands and make her phone calls. At 2pm she would go back to the gym and help members on the floor and from around 4-7pm she would train clients before heading home for the evening.

As she was listing her daily activities, she was all smug and smiling and I could tell in her mind all she thought was "la la la, helping, loving, caring", in my head as I listened all I heard was "selling, salesperson, genius!".

It was obvious to me that she was employing some fantastic marketing and promotional tactics. Her routine is like clockwork and she takes part in a lot of community activities.  Most of her business is by referral which she does not consider sales, for her own unusual reasons.

Sometimes the best salespeople arn't...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment superstar! Don't forget to subscribe by entering your email in the box on the top right!

Also, become a fan on Facebook and follow my shenanigans on Twitter @mybizisfitness...phew!

Ben