Religion isn't a topic that's been openly discussed at the many gyms I've trained at over the years. Besides the odd Creed or Live track on the radio and some occasional blasphemy, that's about the extent of my sweat session spirituality.
I had a conversation today about religion, the fitness industry and personal training (the person I was speaking to is particularly religious and also a personal trainer) and he told me that he's never once discussed his beliefs with his clients (or asked his clients theirs) for fear of somehow creating an awkward conversation or situation.
Religion is fairly popular around the world (about 4 billion people subscribe) and if you watch any major sporting event or weight loss TV show, someone will inevitably thank god for something; so how can you prophet from this relatively untapped gold mine niche?
I stumbled on a story about a book recently called 'The Catholic Workout' and that's exactly what the author, Canadian personal trainer Michael Carrera is doing and good for him:
"There are a lot of people out there who, like me, want to include prayer and fitness into their lives, but seem to struggle," said Carrera. "Combining faith and fitness into a short routine is a practical and purposeful way of creating balance of mind, body and spirit and in opening ourselves to the Lord."
I haven't read the book and the last time I went to church I thought pulpit was a dirty word, so I'm all for balancing my mind, body and spirit while I train (as long as my arms get bigger), it's just the 'opening ourselves to the lord' part that doesn't personally interest me.
Looking at this concept from another angle, could a personal trainer operate a successful business by exclusively appealing to their particular religion for clients? It would certainly eliminate any chance of an awkward client, trainer religious conversation.
Assuming that there's a strong representation in your community and you're particularly passionate about your religion then what's to stop you incorporating your beliefs into a training package as Michael has?
Another consideration I've seen operators neglect and consequently fail because of, is not taking the time to develop their business with respect to the local religious majority. Depending on the area you operate your fitness business out of, regardless of your personal beliefs, you should take the time to realise and research the local market, especially if you're not from there.
In the end, it's up to you how you express yourself and your beliefs. I've had religious conversations with clients, but like any topic, I prefer to remain impartial and focus on keeping the workout moving along.
Ben
Additional Reading
What Does Your Brand Say About You?
Do You Market Yourself Or Your Business?
How To Brand Your Personal Training Business
My Business Is Fitness Home Page
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment superstar! Don't forget to subscribe by entering your email in the box on the top right!
Also, become a fan on Facebook and follow my shenanigans on Twitter @mybizisfitness...phew!
Ben