4 Ways To Sell Yourself And Not Sell Out

Have you ever compromised who you are to try and fit in? It's tough enough to stand out in the fitness industry, so the last thing you'd want to do is blend in right?

"Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself." - Paul Bryant

The key to being successful and being happy is to promote who you are as an individual, your service and the benefits clients and members will receive when they train with you or at your center.

I grew up in a small town but always wanted more, so I moved to a large city and one of the first things I did was try to blend in.

I watched successful people in my field and copied them; the way they dressed, acted with their clients all of these things but soon discovered that I wasn't growing my business, at least the way I wanted to.

Apparently I did a pretty good job because I essentially disappeared off the radar.

You see, I simply created competition for myself by copying other people and reduced my potential business opportunities because there were two or three or four of me already.

I didn't focus on my individual goals because I was always looking around rather than forward.

So here's 4 things I learnt pretty quickly before I went broke and had to move home...

1. Discover your Unique Selling Point, or 'USP'.

What makes you you and different from all of the other fitness professionals out there? Communicate and promote a recognizable and consistent voice that will brand you and your fitness business.

2. Look For Holes In Your Competition.

Instead of looking at what your competition IS doing, fill the voids that they're not.

3. Extraordinary Customer Service.

Besides adhering to the number one rule of customer service and doing what you say you're going to do; go above and beyond what your clients or members expect.

4. Respect Yourself.

If you're not happy with what you're representing or the way you do business (even if it is earning you money), you simply can't last in this industry.

Clients are more intuitive than we give them credit for. They pick up on positives and negatives and if you're giving mixed signals then people will inevitably see straight through you and stop doing business.

Try this.

Forget about money and these six figure fantasies for a moment, step back and have a look at yourself and your fitness business and ask if it's what you imagined when you started.

Are you delivering what your clients deserve, not what you think they deserve?

Sell yourself first and the rest will follow.

Ben

Additional Reading:
What Does Your Brand Say About You?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ben

    Another sweet post. Following a pre-determined recipe for success is a load of shit. Being different is the new black.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick.

    Speaking of 'being yourself'...love the 'Meditation for personal trainers' post you put up yesterday by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment superstar! Don't forget to subscribe by entering your email in the box on the top right!

Also, become a fan on Facebook and follow my shenanigans on Twitter @mybizisfitness...phew!

Ben