How Much Do Personal Trainers Really Make?

I made a comment on the My Business Is Fitness Facebook page today that when I started personal training 13 years ago, the going rate was between $50.00 - 100.00/hour; 14 years later in 2011, the going rate is still $50.00 - 100.00/hour.

My question is, will the going rate in 2020 still be between $50.00 - 100.00/hour?

Out of that hourly wage, you have to deduct your expenses before you even get paid and these can include, but are not limited to:
  • Taxes
  • Rent
  • Business Expenses
  • Holiday Pay
  • Sick Pay
Now that you've taken out all of that, what is your hourly wage?

From 2000 - 2010 grocery prices have increased over 40%, petrol has skyrocketed, further education has become more expensive and still trainers are stuck in the mindset of $50.00/hour.

There are only so many hours in the day, so many clients you can physically give 100% to and I would not recommend increasing your rates by 40% overnight; so you have to look for other ways to generate income if you're going to get anywhere in this business.

How To Write A Rate Increase Letter

Some ways personal trainers expand their businesses to generate more income are:
  • Create Products
  • Develop a retail side to your business
  • Hire more trainers
  • Massage service
  • Nutritional consultations
  • Bootcamps
  • Online personal training services
  • Group Fitness classes
What I'm trying to emphasise is that you don't have to settle on what the market dictates your salary should be or what you assume clients are prepared to pay. A successful fitness professional will carve their own path, look outside the box and use initiative.

If you enjoyed this article please share it on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the icons at the top of this post.

Bring it!

Additional Reading
How Much Did Personal Trainers Make In 2010?
How Much Do Personal Trainers Make?

2 comments:

  1. I am employed by the YMCA. Each fortnight I am working,
    - 30-40hr gym shifts
    - 20hr of personal training
    - for 50-60hr in all, or 25-30hr a week
    and I have an after-tax income of $1,200-$1,400 a fortnight.

    This is not a high income by any means, but it's not bad for the hours I work.

    I could get it up to 40hr a week but then I'd have to work worse hours. For example, I currently do PT 0600-0930 from Monday to Thursday at one gym, and have been offered a Tuesday 1400-2000 shift at another. But that would be a hassle and lead to even less sleep, etc.

    My absolute income would be higher if I were self-employed, but I would have all the expenses you mention, plus have to find my own clients rather than talking to people in the gym who are already interested in fitness, and so on. I think the net result would be the same hours put in for the same income.

    Those earning more than that have to put in many, many more hours. In this PT is like any other business - you get the success you work for, but the work must come long before the success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an independent trainer, you can position yourself as an expert and make greater income per session by focusing on a niche market. Think about a doctor who is a general practitioner versus a specialist. Who charges more? (answer…the specialist charges much more!)

    In order to become successful, you may choose any niche fitness market that interests you, but it is important to understand and learn about the specific needs of that group of people. Also, there must be enough people interested in this market. (Tennis players for fitness trainers in Alaska will obviously not work.)
    I am in Florida and the niche market I train with is junior tennis players. I have found it quite easy to place lazer-like focus on this particular target market.

    By writing articles which are specific to the needs of junior tennis players, I have been able to position myself as an expert in the field. Also, I have been able to easily find qualified customers by associating myself with coaches, tournament directors, tennis associations, and others who focus on junior tennis players and are complimentary but not necessarily competitive to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment superstar! Don't forget to subscribe by entering your email in the box on the top right!

Also, become a fan on Facebook and follow my shenanigans on Twitter @mybizisfitness...phew!

Ben