Jodie Arnot Personal Trainer Spotlight

Today's personal trainer spotlight is focused on Jodie Arnot; director of Healthy Balance Fitness based in Melbourne, Australia.

I first came across Jodie's amazing work after 'HBF' commented on several of my posts and as I and most other bloggers do, followed her link back to her blog (great lesson on why it's important to comment on other blogs).

I instantly recognised her passion as a personal trainer, not to mention her ability to write captivating and educational articles that grab attention.

Most recently and deservedly, Jodie's business Healthy Balance Fitness won the Best Victorian Fitness Business Of 2010 (under 2000 members) and as you read through this interview, you will soon see why.

Where do you train and how long have you been personal training?

I’ve been in the fitness industry since 1998 and in that time experienced a variety of roles: gym instructor, personal trainer, PT team manager, gym floor manager, aerobics instructor (when it was called that!), group fitness trainer, running coach, Cert IV guest lecturer, blogger, writer and company director.

What did you do before you became a personal trainer and why did you become a trainer, besides wanting to help people lose weight, get healthy etc.?

I completed an Arts Degree majoring in Sociology with a minor in Psychology and Visual Arts. Most people are very surprised to hear that! I worked in video production for a short stint but didn’t love it.

I always had the drive to work for myself, and I was a self confessed “fitness junkie”. I lived and breathed for my exercise sessions and couldn’t soak up enough information about health and fitness.

A good friend suggested I study fitness part time and I’ve never looked back. It was a natural progression to meld my passion for fitness and helping people, with my drive to work for myself. And my Arts degree gave me solid skills in writing which I now use all the time.


What certifications do you currently have and do you have any specialist qualifications?

I have Certificate IV in Fitness. I’ve done more short courses and conventions in the past 12 years than I could possibly list. My specialties are staff management/team leading, well planned and communicated group fitness, boxing, boot camp and strong interpersonal skills.

As mentioned in my intro. I’m a fan of your blog, twitter account and facebook page so I know you’re very pro-active with your online marketing; is there one particular resource (online or offline) that you’ve found to be more successful than others? If so, why do you think that is?

Social media is an incredibly powerful tool for building your brand, creating business and personal connections, finding new business opportunities, and just keeping up to date with what is going on in our community.

"I’m surprised how few fitness businesses and personal trainers really utilise the power of social media."

I guess it’s coming in the next 12 months. I’ve found Twitter to be the most outstanding resource to date.

I’ve heard and read (via a guest post by Luke Scott) that the average Personal Trainer ‘retires’ after around 18 months. What do you think are some of the reasons?

• Income – the seasonal nature of the work makes it difficult to budget. Most trainers don’t have a set salary, they are either fully or partially self-employed, or employed on a casual basis. The dry spells can make many trainers look for work outside the industry.

• Hours – the early mornings, late nights and weekend work can be a tough challenge for work life balance. Even though trainers generally have more energy than the average person, I also see that they push their energy limits more than many people. Burnout is common.

• Expectations – for many reasons I think people are given the wrong impression of what it’s like to be a fitness professional.

They imagine plenty of spare time to do their own thing, high pay per hour, glamorous running on the beach or training celebrity clients etc. The reality is getting up before 5am many mornings, eating meals in the car, working evenings while friends socialise, wearing tracksuits all week, touching sweaty bodies, a fluctuating income and standing on dog poo in the park at least once a fortnight. People considering a fitness career need a more balanced idea of what to expect.

• Lack of support – Many trainers are self employed and are not a part of a team. Without the support of other fitness professionals, who truly understand the issues we face, it’s a tough lonely road.

In saying all that, I do want to highlight that there are so many rewarding aspects to the being a fitness professional.

This industry is a very dynamic and positive one. The people I meet – the clients, staff and colleagues – are inspiring. I adore helping clients develop the confidence and motivation for being fitter and healthier.

I have a huge reason to get up and go to work every day and see myself spending the remainder of my career in this industry. I just think we need a realistic, balanced view of the industry for anyone considering a career path in fitness.


Wow, great answer!

Do you think that there comes a time when a client no longer needs a personal trainer?

Firstly there’s a difference between ‘needing’ and ‘wanting’ a personal trainer.

At first most of our clients come to us because they need help learning more, and being supported through lifestyle changes. Then there are other experienced, fit clients with great lifestyle habits who want to train with us because we bring something extra to their training program – an extra challenge, extra fun, new ideas, extra motivation, an extra edge.

They could certainly do just fine without us, but they love and want us to improve their fitness experience. There does come a time when a client doesn’t ‘need’ us anymore, but if we’re an amazing trainer they’ll always ‘want’ us to enhance the fitness aspect of their lives. It’s about providing an experience.



The Healthy Balance Team In Action
 How much do think variety plays a part in keeping clients happy with your services and coming back?

I think it is key. Variety and interpersonal skills stand out in my mind as two of the most important things we can offer.

What were some of the hurdles that you experienced early on in your career that you’ve had to overcome to get where you are now?

Ha! Many. See the list in question 5. I also experienced team leaders and business owners with questionable ethics and poor management in early jobs. It motivated me to be the best possible manager I can be.

Do you have some advice for someone just getting started in the fitness industry?

- Temper your expectations
- Try out many roles in fitness – there are so many and you might be surprised what you enjoy
- Be prepared to work hard especially while you’re gaining experience, but do watch your balance
- Educate yourself, listen and learn from other fitness professionals
- Don’t assume you already know it all
- Follow what you love
- Don’t be afraid to ask established fitness professionals for advice, volunteer work for experience etc.
- Get involved and attend courses, conventions, events and use social media
- Give yourself time to learn and know it’s OK to make some mistakes
- If you’re investing money or signing a contract get advice! Do a business plan, don’t just jump and hope.
- Build networks (in an authentic way – don’t just collect business cards!)
- Never compromise your ethics for any kind of gain


Do you have some advice for a trainer whose business may have hit a plateau and needs a kick start?

Find a mentor, a business course or group that will help you set goals and support you in the process. Also consider if you need a holiday away from the business. Sometimes a plateau is simply exhaustion.

Highlight of your career so far?

Winning Fitness Business of 2010 in Victoria (Under 2000 Members category). An honour and absolute joy.

Do you have a fitness person that you look up to or have inspired you?

Too many to name, and I’m afraid I’ll forget someone!
Anyone who:


- Strives for quality
- Sees that achievement is not a dollar figure
- Behaves ethically
- Wants to make a difference
- Genuinely cares deeply for people gains my attention and admiration.


Thank you so much Jodie!

If any fitness professionals or business operators would like to get in touch, I encourage them to do so.

Twitter: @Healthybalancef
Facebook: www.facebook.com/healthybalancefitness
Blog: Healthy Balance Fitness
Website: http://www.healthybalancefitness.com.au/

Jodie Arnot is director of Healthy Balance Fitness – Winner of Victorian Fitness Business of 2010 (under 2000 members category) in the Australian Health Fitness Industry Awards. Jodie has over 12 years experience in the fitness industry and is passionate about encouraging and supporting staff, clients and the community to reach their full potential.

Additional Reading

Ellena Tsatsos Personal Trainer Spotlight
Greg Hain Personal Trainer Spotlight
Anne Johansson Personal Trainer Spotlight

5 comments:

  1. This is such a fantastic interview Jodie. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions so thoroughly, I'm sure anyone who reads this will find amazing value!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben,

    So bloody refreshing to come across someone like Jodie who stands for everything good about our industry.

    Her natural passion for her profession is obvious and that matched with her want to help others is an awesome combination.

    I think the awards are only going to get bigger for Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure, Ben. Thank you for the opportunity to share some of my thoughts on your popular site. I urge new trainers to subscribe to this site and make contact with fitness professionals who've been in the industry a while. These resources will facilitate a long and successful fitness career!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks, Rick. Right back at you! Keep up the inspiring work guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome information Jodie! It's open discussions like this that can really help newcomers to the industry. Also it helps those who are "longer in the tooth" to acknowledge where they've come from.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment superstar! Don't forget to subscribe by entering your email in the box on the top right!

Also, become a fan on Facebook and follow my shenanigans on Twitter @mybizisfitness...phew!

Ben